How Do I Choose A Lawyer?
Consider the following:
– Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
– How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
– How are the lawyer’s fees structured – hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
– Is the lawyer’s office conveniently located?
Not Sure What Questions To Ask A Lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want To Check Lawyer Discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.