The Law Firm You Want On Your Side
Stephenie K. Gookins
- Family Law 50%
- Criminal Defense 30%
- Social Security Disability 10%
- Appellate 10%
Stephenie K. Gookins was admitted to the Indiana bar in 1998. Born in Greensburg, IN, Ms. Gookins graduated from Indiana University with a B.S. in Public Affairs and received her law degree from The McKinney School of Law, Indiana University.
Prior to starting Terry & Gookins, LLC, Stephenie practiced law at Campbell, Kyle Proffitt for 11 years as both an associate and partner. Also, she was an associate attorney at Holt Legal Group from 2001-2004 and was employed at Rolls-Royce in the Contracts Department from 1998-2001. In addition to representing individual clients, Ms. Gookins has served as a public defender in Hamilton Superior Court 5 for over 18 years.
She is a member of the Advisory Board for Hamilton County Community Corrections where she has served two terms as President. Ms. Gookins was selected as a Super Lawyer from 2019 - 2022 and has previously been named a "Rising Star" by the Indiana SuperLawyers Magazine in 2009, 2011, and 2012. Ms. Gookins coordinates the Hamilton County Bar Association Mock Trial program for Hamilton County high school students and has been recognized with the Indiana Bar Foundation Law-Related Education Award in 2013 & 2018.
Ms. Gookins is active in her community serving as Troop Committee Chair for a scout troop in Scouts BSA. Ms. Gookins' practice areas include family law, divorce, mediation, criminal law, social security disability, appellate law and parent coordination.
Ms. Gookins is running for Judge of the newly created Hamilton County Superior Court 7 in the May 2022 Republican primary.
Current Employment Position
- Holt Legal Group, Associate, 2000 to 2004
- Campbell Kyle Proffitt LLP, Associate/Partner, 2004 to 2015
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. - 1998
- Indiana University
- B.S. - 1994
- Major: Public Affairs
- Indiana, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1998
- Super Lawyers, 2019-2022
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009, 2011, 2012
- Order of Barristers, 1996-Present
- In Bar Foundation Law - Related Education Award, 2013, 2018
Classes & Seminars
- Social Security Disability, Presenter IN Law Update, ICLEF/ Judge Robert H. Staton, 2018 to 2019
- Heinzman v. State, 895 N.E.2d 716, 2008, Court of Appeals
- Smith v. State, 835 N.E.2d 1072, 2005, Court of Appeals
- L.G. vs. S.L, 88 N.E.3d 1069 (Ind. 2018), 2018, Supreme Court
- Indiana State Bar Association, 2001 to Present
- Hamilton County Bar Association, Mock Trial Coordinator, 2001 to Present
- Hamilton County Evidence Based Decision Making Initiative, Team Member, 2017 to 2019
- Hamilton County Community Corrections, Board Member , 2002 to Present